Introduction to Making Winter Squash Lasagna
The holiday season is synonymous with warm gatherings, festive decorations, and of course delicious food. If you’re searching for a show-stopping dish to serve your loved ones on Christmas, look no further than Winter Squash Lasagna with Brown Butter Béchamel. This indulgent yet surprisingly straightforward recipe combines the rich flavors of roasted winter squash, creamy béchamel sauce, and perfectly cooked lasagna noodles, creating a dish that is sure to impress your holiday guests. In this article, we’ll take you through the guide to making winter Squash Lasagna process of crafting this mouthwatering masterpiece.
Ingredients for Making Winter Squash Lasagna
Before diving into the cooking process, let’s gather all the necessary ingredients. For this Winter Squash Lasagna with Brown Butter Béchamel, you’ll need:
For the Roasted Winter Squash:
– 2 medium-sized butternut squash
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
For the Brown Butter Béchamel Sauce:
– 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 4 cups whole milk
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 9 lasagna noodles
– 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– Fresh sage leaves for garnish
Step 1: Roast the Winter Squash
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
3. Place the squash halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Roast the squash in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until the flesh is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
5. Remove the squash from the oven and let it cool slightly. Once cooled, scoop out the roasted squash from the skin and set it aside in a bowl.
Step 2: Prepare the Brown Butter Béchamel Sauce
1. In a saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
2. Continue to cook the butter, stirring occasionally, until it turns a deep golden brown color. This should take about 5-7 minutes. Be careful not to let it burn.
3. Once the butter is browned, add the all-purpose flour and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes. This will help cook out the raw flour taste.
4. Gradually pour in the whole milk while whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
5. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon, typically 10-12 minutes.
6. Season the béchamel sauce with ground nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Set it aside.
Step 3: Cook the Lasagna Noodles
1. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
2. Add the lasagna noodles and cook them according to the package instructions until they are al dente.
3. Drain the noodles and rinse them under cold water to prevent sticking.
Step 4: Assemble the Winter Squash Lasagna
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Spread a thin layer of the brown butter béchamel sauce on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
3. Place three lasagna noodles over the sauce in the dish.
4. Spread half of the roasted butternut squash over the noodles.
5. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the squash.
6. Drizzle some béchamel sauce over the cheese and squash layer.
7. Repeat the process with three more lasagna noodles, the remaining squash, and the remaining cheeses.
8. Place the final three lasagna noodles over the top and cover them with the remaining béchamel sauce.
9. Sprinkle some extra Parmesan cheese on top for that crispy, cheesy crust.
Step 5: Bake the Lasagna
1. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven.
2. Bake the lasagna for 25-30 minutes, or until it’s hot and bubbling.
3. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Step 6: Garnish and Serve
1. Once your Winter Squash Lasagna is perfectly baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
2. While it’s resting, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add a little extra butter. Fry fresh sage leaves until they become crispy, about 30 seconds per side.
3. Garnish your lasagna with the fried sage leaves.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
Your Winter Squash Lasagna with Brown Butter Béchamel is now ready to be served. Scoop out generous portions, and watch as your guests revel in the delightful combination of roasted squash, creamy sauce, and perfectly cooked noodles.
This Winter Squash Lasagna with Brown Butter Béchamel is a delightful holiday dish that’s sure to become a family favorite. With the warm, comforting flavors of roasted winter squash and the rich creaminess of the brown butter béchamel sauce, it’s a perfect choice for your Christmas dinner table. Follow this step-by-step guide, and you’ll be well on your way to creating a mouthwatering masterpiece that will impress your guests and make your holiday celebration unforgettable.